Rain in the park

… and colour in the walled garden. One of those days when it could rain anywhere, anytime – or might stay dry. It didn’t, of course. We took shelter under the trees in the deer park for a few minutes, but didn’t need our waterproofs. The season is nearing its end in the walled garden, where there’s plenty of colour in the flowers, fruit and veg.

Yes, it’s a National Trust property – but we’ve walked four miles this afternoon…

View OS map on Streetmap http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?X=355380&Y=310080&A=Y&Z=120

The green man

Wandering from Willey once more – this time, back up Scots Lane and down to St Leonard’s church at Linley. An interesting little building, tucked away from reality down a rough-surfaced leafy lane, its main claim to fame seems to be the green man over a blocked north doorway. It is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust https://www.visitchurches.org.uk/visit/church-listing/st-leonard-linley.html

View OS map on Streemap http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=368745&Y=298520&A=Y&Z=120

Buses, bears and pumping engines

6 May 2006: the Abbey Pumping Station is in Leicester, a local authority museum based around a Victorian steam-powered sewage-pumping facility. They’ve constructed a 2′ gauge railway around the grounds, and Leonard, a little Bagnall dating from 1919, would be in operation on this occasion (for a full report on Leonard’s activities, visit “Leonard at Leicester” on Geoff’s Rail Diaries). There were other exhibits, including couple of old buses which seemed to be operated by, and for, some rather large bears. Next door, there’s a spaceship (really!). All good fun, and interesting too. Must go again one day…

Abbey Pumping Station

 

Avoncroft

26 April 2009: a visit to the museum of buildings near Bromsgrove, which is much more interesting than it sounds! One of those places we’d intended to go to for several years.
Afterwards, we appear to have driven on to Evesham, where five years and a day after the visit posted yesterday, we had another brief look at the railway. The locomotive in use on this occasion was “John”, built in 1921 for the Rhyl Miniature Railway

Avoncroft Museum of Historic Buildings